The Carnic Pievi Trail

Nature, history, art and spirituality in Carnia

Third Stage

Crossing initially above the plain of the River Tagliamento, the route ends within the range of foothills that acts as a barrier to Carnia to the southwest, with the Pieve of Cesclans doing a sentry to it and transfer to Cesclans' s possible overnight. The route begins and ends with a paved road, but in the central part is in the woods, the first on the trail and then trail.


.... more..

Stage Overview

Starting Point Tolmezzo
Arrival Point Cesclans
Difficulty Tourist trail
Length 9.5 km
Walking time 3 hr, 0 min
Environment Low Mountain
Exposure East, Southeast
Climb (in metres) 137 m
Descent (in metres) 173 m
Map ref. Tabacco 9 e 13
Water springs NO
Suitable for cycling NO
Horse Rideable YES
Presence of a Pieve YES
Download a printable version of the map a (PDF) Download GPS Path (KML)

Route description

This trail takes you across the plain to the south of the River Tagliamento and reaches the heart of the Prealpi Carniche, the Carnic end of the  Alpine foothills. The village of Cesclans nestles on a cliff-top, which dominates the foothills. Its church stands like a sentinel facing Lake Cavazzo. At Cavazzo Carnico we suggest a possible overnight. The trail is walkable in all seasons. It starts and ends on a paved road with a middle stretch passing through woodland.

The Pieve of St. Stephen

The church (Pieve) of Santo Stefano together with that of Santa Maria di Gorto, were given as gifts to the local Abbey of San Gallo di Moggio Udinese by the Patriarchs of Aquileia during the Middle Ages. The building was entirely rebuilt after the devastating earthquake of 1976, taking it back to the style of its last renovation in 1777 The bronze door and the frescoes decorating the interior, however, are twentieth-century. It was founded in the eighth century. You can see the various building phases over the centuries in the archaeological site below the church. The church also houses an altarpiece by the Friulian painter Amalteo Pomponio, dated (1536) with an inscription in Latin on the steps of the throne depicted in the painting.

Opening times:

The church is normally open over the weekend in July and August to the first days of September, as well as in conjunction with any event or celebration. For those who intend to visit the church on other days / times, is possible to request an extraordinary opening, by clicking here

Additional Information